Meet SEJ member Steve Herman! Steve is the chief national correspondent of Voice of America, reporting on major American stories including climate policy. He is among the initial group of cohorts of the Oxford Climate Journalism Network and was a 2022 Kiplinger Fellow, focusing on climate reporting. From 2017 through 2021, Steve was senior White House correspondent and subsequently VOA's White House bureau chief. He spent more than a quarter of a century in Asia, including years of reporting from Tokyo and subsequently as a VOA correspondent and bureau chief in India, South Korea and Thailand. Steve also served in 2016 as VOA's Senior Diplomatic Correspondent, based at the State Department.
Among the major news stories Steve has covered on scene over the decades: the Baneberry nuclear federal court trial (1979), MGM Grand Hotel fire (1980), Thai April Fool's coup (1981), Squeaky Fromme's prison escape (1987), the Kobe earthquake (1995), the Tokyo subway sarin attack (1995), handover of Hong Kong (1997), end of the Sri Lanka civil war (2009), the Fukushima nuclear disaster (2011), Typhoon Haiyan (2013), Thai coup (2014), the Erawan Shrine bombing (2015) and the Gorkha Nepal earthquake (2015). Steve has reported from dozens of other countries and territories. He is one of the most active Washington journalists on social media with more than 112,000 followers on Twitter and 142,000 on LinkedIn.
When asked if he recommends SEJ membership to his colleagues, Steve said, "Absolutely, even for those who are not full-time covering the environment, because it is dynamic and has excellent resources for stories that encompass numerous beats." Join Steve at SEJ today!
See some of Steve's work for Voice of America:
- "Asians Breathing World's Most Dangerous Air," March 22, 2022.
- "Scientists Say Climate Change Already Driving Species' Mass Mortalities," February 28, 2022.
- "Dramatic Sea Level Rise Forecast for US Over Next 30 Years," February 15, 2022.
- "Hands of 'Doomsday Clock' Stay Fixed at 100 Seconds to Midnight," January 20, 2022.
- "Biden Wants America To Speed the Shift to Electric Cars," August 5, 2021.
- "US Urged To Offer Refuge to Those Fleeing Climate Catastrophes," July 14, 2021.
- "White House Cautiously Embraces Nuclear Power to Meet Green Goals," June 7, 2021.
- "Biden Seeks to Blow Away Doubts About Wind Power," May 25, 2021.
Members: we want to put the #SEJSpotlight on you! Sign up here to participate.
Not yet a member? Join us today!